Wike Orders Demolition Of Houses Built On Abuja Water Channels

Nyesom Wike inspecting flood-affected areas in Abuja and ordering the demolition of houses built on designated waterways.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has directed the immediate demolition of houses and other structures constructed on designated waterways in Abuja. Wike issued the directive on Tuesday after inspecting areas of the FCT affected by flooding following heavy rainfall. He warned that property owners who have obstructed designated water channels would not be spared, regardless of their status or influence.

During a press briefing at his office, the minister said his inspection revealed that some property owners had built on channels identified in the Abuja Master Plan as routes for the free flow of stormwater. According to Wike, the recent flooding had exposed the dangers posed by such developments, stressing that structures blocking waterways would now be removed. He said the fact that flooding had not occurred in an area in the past did not mean residents could assume the location was permanently safe.

Wike explained that some property owners had blocked waterways without immediate consequences, but the recent flooding had demonstrated why such channels were necessary. He subsequently ordered the FCT Development Control Department to identify and take action against buildings located on waterways.

The minister gave the department until Saturday to begin enforcing the directive, warning that excuses would not be accepted. Wike also stated that the demolition exercise would apply to everyone, including politicians and other influential individuals who own properties in affected areas. He maintained that enforcement of planning regulations should not be influenced by political considerations, insisting that the safety and proper development of Abuja must take priority. The minister’s directive followed his inspection of flood-affected areas in Maitama, where he discovered a structure allegedly erected on a designated drainage area.

According to Lere Olayinka, the minister’s aide on Public Communications and Social Media, the particular plot had previously been allocated but was revoked in 2011 because it was designated as a drainage area. The latest inspection comes amid renewed concerns over flooding across parts of Abuja following heavy rainfall.

The FCT Administration has also indicated plans to review the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to reflect current realities. Authorities have additionally begun installing covers over some drainage channels in an effort to prevent scavengers from removing them. The minister’s latest directive signals a tougher approach by the FCT Administration towards developments that obstruct Abuja’s drainage infrastructure, particularly as the city continues to experience flooding during periods of intense rainfall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *